Monday, October 12, 2009

Vintage me




This was my family when I was 6. Mom, Dad, sister, brother. Reminds me of the song by Pink....

"In our family portrait we look pretty happy, we look pretty normal......"


This was taken just months before our family split up. It couldn't be avoided. I'm glad there is photographic evidence of what was.

I'm filled with mixed emotions looking at it.

Both the siblings pictured here have taken rough paths. Their adult lives have been riddled with drugs and homelessness, crime and arrests. They've been lost, and I can only hope they have photos in the future where they look as happy as they do here.

Then there's me, standing next to my dad. My dad who I've seen one time in the past 18 years. There's a lot that I could say, but not much that I feel I should say. People are complex, ergo lives are complex and relationships even more so.

But I also think....
-my sister's dress looks like it's made from a towel
-look how light my mom's hair is!
-speaking of hair, I'm glad I escaped the feathering
-And me, I love how frilly and feminine my dress is, and I am wearing my hair exactly like that today! I'd show you, but Cali stuffed my camera cord into a bottle of water
-And my mom, I am almost the same age she is here. I know this was a trying time in her life, but her smile is so bright. Beautiful.

No comments: