Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Emily

Does there ever come a time where your children stop amazing you with how much they've grown, how much they've learned, how wise they're becoming? I don't think there is...unless they grow to be not so wise, in which case I'm sure there is still amazement going on, just not the good kind. The kind that makes you want to smack them and use lots of four letter words.

My oldest is going to be 10 soon, and I'm caught up in this ringer of emotion. She's alternately wise and carefree and serious and mothering and and and.....I figured out why they refer to her age as "tweens". It's not a play on the word "teen", it's because they are just in beTWEEN. They're right smack in the middle of being big and little.

We were at church on Saturday night and the kids were all playing on the playground while I sat and chatted with my mom. Damien went inside to go to the bathroom, and five minutes later, about the time I started wondering what was taking him so long, Emily came up to me and asked "Shouldn't Damien be back by now?" I had to laugh.
She takes her big sister role very seriously.

She also looks after her baby sister.






Like her haircut? I just did it last week. She didn't like it much, until everyone started raving over it, and telling her how much older she looks. I have to say, I completely agree. She suddenly looks OLD. Like teenager old, like she's going to snub me and slam her door in my face old.

But then I look at her with the rest of her gymnastics team, who ARE actual teenagers and she suddenly looks so tiny.

(she's the short one about to pick her leotard out of her crack)




Except she's actually old enough to be on the team with these teenagers which then makes her seem all old again. See what I mean about the emotional ringer?

She was having a tween angst moment the other day, and I pointed out a bright side to her issue. She responded with:

"the cup can't be half full ALL the time mom."

What am I supposed to do with that? I better keep my wits about me, or she'll be outsmarting me by 13, and we can't let that happen.


No comments: