Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Maybe next year

When I was a teenager....a younger teenager....I paid my own way into the fair every year.
My best friend and I had a very enterprising business of selling lemonade on a local park's bike trail. We rode our bikes....and sometimes walked, in the heat, pulling a wagon full of supplies. We set up at the top of two hills and sold to everyone. Everyone that brought money with them on their bike ride or hike that is. We also gave free water to the dogs and passed the time riding down the hills in our wagon. Fond memories these. When I really think about it, we were a bit old to be having a lemonade stand, but we actually did pretty well. As well as you can I guess at 25 cents a cup.

It would usually be just enough money to get us in and get all day ride bracelets. And we stayed all day. And we rode the rides all day. With no money for food, or drinks. It was deathly hot and we would beg water from the different food stands. One such stand took pity on us and would give us food. It was a cajun restaurant and everything was spicy, but beggars can't be choosers. Plus their peach cobbler was delicious. The couple who ran it was so kind, they remembered us year after year and I still think of them every time I eat jambalaya. They were replaced years ago by Johnny Garlic's.


Nowadays, I go to the fair in a much different way. My mom went to school with the owners, so we only have to pay to get in, and then the entire family is provided with ride bracelets, umbrella tables in the shade, an entire lunch spread, bottled water, sodas, bottles of wine, caramel apples, cheesecake..........









Sorry, I had to go get a snack.



I do the rides differently too. All those years ago, we spent the majority of our time on the zipper and the kamikaze, flipping and twirling and screaming.

Now my ride partner is 3 years old, and I got to ride such exciting rides as the caterpillar roller coaster, the bouncing cars and the super slide.

Around 9 pm I met up with Patrick and the older kids. Patrick asked if there was anything else I wanted to do or if I wanted to head home. I looked wistfully towards the zipper and just then Damien threw up.

I guess you can't have your cheesecake and eat it too.

No comments: