Friday, February 27, 2009

Oh yeah, now I remember

There's no question that life with children is busy. It's extremely, unendingly busy. Always changing, always a new phase, a new activity or milestone. So I shouldn't be surprised that I forget about certain things between kids, but I am, and I do.

I'm not sure if it's the same with most 2 year olds, but all of MY 2 year olds have experienced a period of frequent nighttime waking, and nightmares. They're out of bed, every 5 minutes, sometimes with the most ridiculous excuses ("I want a different pillowcase?", "my sock fell off", "spongebob fell off my bed"), but the reason is usually the same. They're scared.
Emily would always come to us with her fears. She was fairly easy to soothe and talk back to bed. Damien....well, he was a little more agressive in his approach to calming his fears. He would take midnight strolls into the kitchen to find knives for protection (believe me, this one of my most nerve wracking periods of parenthood thus far). No matter where I hid them, he would find them. Tenacious, he was a tenacious 2 year old.

For Caliana, it doesn't help that she has older siblings running around, hanging up posters of vampires, or talking about their most recent lego star wars battle, but even seemingly benign things can be the cause of her terror. The other night it was her mr potato head. Just sitting there on her shelf, waiting for her to fall asleep, so he could attack. Bwahaha! She took it and threw it in Emily's room and went back to bed.
Actually, come to think of it, that guy could be a little scary, what with all his body parts coming off and his ear stuck where his eyes should be. I can kinda see her point now.

No comments: