Thursday, September 10, 2009

When books come alive

When I was little, 2nd, 3rd grade, one of my favorite books was James and the Giant Peach. I read it so many times. When Tim Burton did the movie some years back, I was SO very excited. Excited and then a little disappointed. I didn't appreciate Tim Burton then as I do now. Sometimes when a movie is made from a book, it's like magic. They pull the story out of your head and put it in front of your eyes. It's a beautiful thing.
Sometimes though, it's just a stunted, crippled version of all that you love. Sometimes they get it all wrong. Sometimes they pervert it, warp it, render it almost unrecognizable. But there's really no way to know until you see it.

There are 3 book movies coming out in the next 3 months, and I am excited for all 3.

This month is Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs. We have this book. My kids know it. I remember doing a mural based on this book in 2nd grade. It's a family favorite. The movie looks fun and funny and the kids and I are anxious.

Next month is Where the Wild Things Are. I read this book when I was young. I wasn't particularly attached to it, but Damien was. He wanted this story over and over. And then Cali. They're both a little wild and could probably identify. The movie LOOKS amazing. I really hope it is.

In November.............you know.............right...............don't make me say it............I'd say I was going just because Emily is dying to see it, but that would be a lie. I'm not a fanatic, I don't have any merchandise or t-shirts or anything, but I am going to the midnight showing of New Moon. I just.....yeah.......whatever.......I'm not the only one.

No comments: