Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Hodge Podge

Ok, I'm back and I'm better. My camera is still broken, but my husband is being nicer. He apologized for our fight yesterday. I'm really really glad he's humble enough to apologize and try to make up because I'm a little more....uh...stubborn and pigheaded. Thanks baby.


____________________________________

I recently read an article that a friend posted about teen girls and sex. It was based on a survey done by Tyra Banks. Some of the results:

* On average, girls are losing their virginity at 15 years of age.
* 14 percent of teens who are having sex say they’re doing it at school.
* 52 percent of survey respondents say they do not use protection when having sex.
* One in three says she fears having a sexually transmitted disease.
* 24 percent of teens with STDs say they still have unprotected sex.
* One in five girls says she wants to be a teen mom.
* About 50 percent acknowledge that they’ve hit someone.
* One out of three teens has tried drugs.

Being a parent, this completely freaks me out!! Right now, the kids are still pretty innocent, but the next few years, the "formative years", are so important. What I do, what I say, what I discuss, what I teach, are going to "form" my children's minds and they will make decisions that have the potential to change their entire lives. Lord help me, toddlers are simple in comparison.

For now though, here's what's going on in my children's love lives

Emily has a crush on a boy in her class. She decided to tell him yesterday. Man, is she brave! I would never! At least not way back in 4th grade. I wouldn't even let my crush catch me glancing at him. This is how it went:

Em: "Hi, I need to get something over with. God this feels strange, but I like you"
*and she didn't run away giggling, she stood there, confidently, waiting for his response*

Crush: *blush* *small smile* *ran away*

She was not offended. She thinks he likes her too. I am so glad she tells me all of this. I hope she always does, although that hope is unrealistic. I am also glad this kid was not some forward thinking, fast moving punk who responded with "I like you too, want to go out?" 9 is too young for a boyfriend. I am also glad that she has the confidence to do this sort of thing. Hopefully she will keep that and not feel intimidated by boys, intimidated enough to be put into compromising positions in which she is not comfortable, and probably too young.

____________________________________________

Damien also has a crush, and inspired by his sister's bravery, he decided to tell....one of his friends. His friend then announced it loudly to the class. Girl's reaction, shocked face. Damien's reaction, *major blush* pissed at said friend. 1st grade is still in the not scary to me zone.

No comments: