Saturday, September 20, 2008

10 years ago

Today is my mom's birthday. Happy Birthday Mom!!
It's also the day I found out I was pregnant 10 years ago. I was 17, 3 months out of high school, lived at home and worked at a movie theater. My boyfriend was also 17, I had known him exactly 1 month and 1 day, and had lost my virginity with little fanfare exactly one month earlier, on the kindergarten playground of an elementary school. The same school coincidentally where my children now attend 1st and 4th grade.
I was not using birth control and should'nt have been surprised, but I was. I cried for about 5 minutes, and then with the supreme optimism that only teens can possess, I decided everything was going to be great. I owe a lot of that mental ease to the extreme support I was given (thanks mom!).
Surprisingly my teen romance lasted 4 1/2 years (but that's another story for another day), and I have no regrets. Who possibly could, I mean look at this face!



Here's to 10 years, and my transition from kid to mom.

No comments: