Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Busy with a capital B

When I was a youngster, my extra-curricular activities consisted of

- reading
- playing chinese jumprope in the kitchen
- swimming in the pool in our complex
- harassing my little brother

and other homebound activities that didn't require a uniform (unless you count the bathing suit), or being there on time, or my mom to drop me off or pick me up. I did have a great desire to take gymnastics because I longed to do a back handspring, but it just wasn't in the cards for me(or the pocketbook).
So in the grand tradition of living out our dreams through our children, at the ripe old age of 3 years old, Emily started gymnastics, wasn't she cute?
Photobucket

Thankfully for my conscience, she loves it. With a few breaks here and there, she's still in it. As is Damien. Friday nights we all head over the the gymnastics center for an hour. One hour a week, no big deal. A few months ago, Emily was moved up to level E. At our center this is the last level before it gets competetive, which means when she moves up again, she'll have practice 3-4 days a week and go to competitions. Yikes.
To prep for this level of commitment, we decided the cheer team was a good place to get our competitive feet wet. Emily loves cheer just as much (if not more than)gymnastics. It takes place at the same center, so now we're there:

Tuesdays- 5:30-7 (cheer)
Thursdays- 5:30-7 (cheer)
Fridays- 5:30-6:30 (gymnastics)

Yikes again! Emily took a hip hop class last year and really wanted to continue this year, but with school, gymnastics, cheer, and now clarinet, it's just too much.

I however, am taking a hip hop class of my own (hey, mom's need to have fun too!), Tuesday nights 7:30-8:30, so Emily gets to go straight from cheer to my dance class since I won't have time to bring her home.

What about Damien you say? He has gymnastics and in the past has done seasons of t-ball, and basketball. I was all set to sign him up for soccer, but both boys (Damien and Patrick) are lobbying for him to take karate. Double Yikes! I'm still on the "we'll see" about that, but basketball season is coming back around. There's just not enough time in the week. Lord help me when Cali joins the fray.

______________________________________________________

And just for fun, here's a combo of me at 9, and my girl at 9..... pretty similar! Her forehead actually looks bigger than mine! Poor girl

Photobucket

No comments: