Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Living the life of a polygamist


Ha, not quite, more like a bad sitcom, titled "My two baby daddies".
For the past 6 weeks, my ex Dan (Emily and Damien's dad) has been staying with us. Why you ask? Something about he never grew up and learned to take care of himself, combined with my husband's insane southern hospitality (have I mentioned he was raised in Arkansas?) that requires him (read:me) to help everyone on the planet.

I have to admit it's not all bad. We always have a babysitter, and if my kids want something and I'm like.. sleeping, I can say "go ask one of your dads". Hey, it takes a village....right?
Ok, I'll admit, it's weird.
But the kids love him, Patrick doesn't care, and I can't quite bring myself to toss him out on the street....at least not yet. Give me another few weeks.

_______________________________________________________________________

Emily the overachiever:

Like most oldest children, Emily thrives on accomplishment and attention. She hates to be wrong, she detests mistakes, and she wants to always be the best.
She was thrilled when her gymnastics coach called last night to request that Emily move up to her pre-competetive class. I know this is what she's been working towards, but I can't help but feel like we should slow down. Emily's cheer team starts it's competetive season next month, she just started the clarinet, she's just started 4th grade, which is a big transition from primary 3rd grade. She's now hanging out with 5th and 6th graders instead of 1st and 2nd graders. I don't know, I think it's all my issue, she's taking it all in stride. Oh, the whole reason I started talking about this is she just informed me that she was nominated for student council. I think it's great that she wants to be so involved, I just hope she doesn't burn out by Junior high.

____________________________________________________________

Recent additions to Damien's pet wish list:

- a jellyfish (so he can sting his enemies)
- a gecko
- a flamingo
- a two headed cobra (huh?)- he said I should be able to find one in the desert
- a squirtle (thanks to Pokemon frying his brain, he actually thinks a squirrel is called a squirtle)

No comments: